Saturday, October 11, 2008

Crazy Critters

Blocks are in 17 days. If you flip back to my post about two weeks before block 1, same life is going on. The past two nights I have had a total of 10 hours of sleep. I did however, go for my first cayman run yesterday on the beach with Shamil, as the sun set. After, we jumped in the pool in our sports bras and shorts, and found complete content in the fact that the stars in Cayman were over Orlando and Warsaw too.

Tonight on my way to church, I met tourists in the taxi from Biddeford, Maine. I asked them if they knew my dear friend Lily Morin, the allstar who scored two goals for BWS this week. They didn't, but I was still really happy that they were from the same town.

I decided it would be good to write about the crazy animals on the island, as I don't think I have yet. If so, my apologies. There are stray dogs everywhere on the island. At the grocery this week, there was a dog fight in the parking lot. Also abundant, are chickens and roosters. They are also found in the large parking lots, and Shamil and I often laugh on our bike ride to school, because we cant see them, but the roosters are crowing the whole way there. The lizards on the island come in all sizes, from the size of my pinky finger to the size of my entire leg. There are sand crabs... white ones that blend into the sand. I think I killed some on my run yesterday. The med students in the suites always talk about the frogs there jumping on them, and I had my first encounter Wednesday night, when I was walking back from laundry and a frog decided to hop onto me. I say this with love, when I say I acted just like my sisters would. I screamed and flailed ridiculously, like the little thing would actually hurt me. Last, there are the ants. We have had our room exterminated, and they just keep coming. They are weird ants that stagger, basically like drunk ants, and its a good time I have very little time to eat, because they certainly eliminate my appetite.

Besides the critters, there are people here who are starting to mean an awful lot to me. One of my guy friends called me yesterday, because a situation happened at home and he "felt like I was someone he could confide in". My girls and I are looking at places to live next semester, and I couldn't be luckier to have a close nit group in a really difficult time for all of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

testing

schiraldie said...

haha i like all of moms testing posts. uh and yeah, idk about the critters. mary & i will have to bring lots of swatters when we come.. if not full body armor.