I remember when I left home, Rochester, and Brockport for Cayman, I was convinced I'd be gone forever. Somehow, I'm 5 weeks away from being back? This semester has been a crazy ride.
Last Sunday, I completed my 8 week rapid review course with Kaplan. It was a crazy, weekendless, gut check, that I knew I could survive and am so happy to be done with. I learned a lot of great tricks for the exam, what to focus on, and what I still need more time to review. This past Friday, we took our second exam, worth 80% of our grade. It was-an exam that most of my class walked out of wondering what we had learned the past 8 weeks, and the past 2 years. I decided that so much of medicine is being told you can't, or just don't get it-and you have to keep standing up again, and again, and again. I'm awaiting a score, hoping for the best but expecting something much less.
Today begins ICM-Intro to Clinical Medicine. Clinical medicine is the next two years of medical school, or rotations. Our school has a 5 week intro course so that we kind of know what we're talking about when we head into the hospital this summer. It will be a refreshing change to be in the classroom 2 hours, instead of eight, and to have Saturdays and Sundays off!
This past weekend, I relaxed. While its a forced relax, I did many wonderful things and actually enjoyed Cayman a bit. I slept in. I went out with friends. I watched Syracuse beat Villanova. I talked to family and friends. I went to the beach twice (and unfortunately, my skin is mad at me today for that). I cleaned our apartment. And my little sister would be most proud-I didn't study.
Today, I was up at 6:30 again, putting on my study face until this Step1 exam some time in May. I am excited to be so close to home, and sad to see some of my friends here for only such a short time. I can almost feel 30 Park, my mama, and my favorite 94 year old's tough little hug.
Hope everyone is safe, happy, and warm at home in the states. I'll be home soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Correction: you watched Syracuse pound Villanova. :-) Glad you finally got some downtime in Cayman. Good luck with the next few weeks! Big hugs from the Ngs!
and 30 Park & the US of A are very excited about getting you back!
Post a Comment